Mental Health Ministries
1. The Mental Health Ministries team, whose aim is to encourage others with support and compassion, wants to spread awareness of the new 988 suicide and crisis phone/text/chat lifeline.
988 offers 24/7 access to trained crisis counselors who can help people experiencing mental health-related distress. That could be:
· Thoughts of suicide
· Mental health or substance use crisis, or
· Any other kind of emotion distress
People can call or text 988 or chat 988lifeline.org for themselves or if they are worried about a loved one who may need crisis support. With 988, no matter where you live in the United States, you can reach a trained crisis counselor who can help.
2. In the month of September, the Mental Health Ministries is focusing on what we can do to help people experiencing thoughts of suicide. With that in mind, we are scheduling two dates for "QPR Training", Thursday, October 8, 6:30 - 8:00 p.m. and Saturday, October 13, 9:30 - 11:00 a.m. QPR is like CPR, except that it is for knowing what to do when with someone having thoughts of suicide. QPR stands for Question, Persuade, and Refer — 3 simple steps anyone can learn to help save a life from suicide. This will be open to the whole Big lake area! But there are only 30 spots for each session. It is free and you can REGISTER HERE.
3. We are also gathering resources to make available to people about a variety of mental health topics. Watch for more information in the coming months!